FAQ – Broadcasting & Film

What makes Central Campus Broadcasting and Film different from courses in my home school?

Broadcasting and Film is a project based curriculum where a list of projects is issued each term and the instructor(s) coach you through the production process

What will I do in Broadcasting and Film at Central Campus?

You will receive hands-on experience with industry equipment in radio, television and video production.

What are the course requirements for enrollment?

We encourage enrollment commitment for at least two years. Prerequisites: C or better in English 10 with some computer and communications coursework

How many blocks do I need to schedule for this program?

We recommend two adjacent blocks

What careers will this program prepare me for?

Media related employment, journalism, website content creation, digital media, film, and radio broadcasting

What type of credit can I earn?

Academic: Fine/Applied arts
College: credit from Iowa Central in Fort Dodge and DMACC in Ankeny

Are field trips and study tours available?

We invite industry professionals to our studio and walk to radio stations and production houses.

Are there internships or jobs available through this program?

Job shadowing can be arranged independently or through instruction approval.

What student organizations/competitions are available through this program?

We sent student work to Film Festivals and radio production competitions.

Are the student DJ’s live on the radio?

Yes, as well as the internet. KDPS 88.1 FM is a 5200 watt station owned by the school district that covers the metro area and surrounding suburbs. KDPS streams live on the internet at kdpscentral.streamon.fm. We also DJ middle school dances and events in the community.

What kind of music is on the station?

We have a “variety” format which suggests that the genre (or type of music) can change throughout the broadcasting day. Each student selects their music for a target audience and edits out elements that are profane and indecent

Do I have to have my own video camera?

No, but using your own equipment is allowable. We have industry equipment and software available for checkout including boom poles, lights, mics, tripods, and cameras.

Do I have to attend ICCC or DMACC after high school to get the college credit?

No. Iowa Central Community College in Fort Dodge, and Des Moines Area Community College in Ankeny can help you transfer credits with a request for transfer, usually conducted on their respective websites. Sometimes the credits you transfer will become electives that help you graduate from college sooner.

Is this class one block or two?

It can be either, depending on your availability. The projects are designed for each student to complete during one block, but doubling the time you get in the studio has been very helpful to students who want to pursue this as a career area after high school.